Pages

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Top Books 2013-2014

I am a librarian in a middle school and though I wish there was more diversity in the books my students read, they really tend to like the same authors. On the other hand, as long as they are reading, then I am happy.

I wanted to look at the top books for the whole year as well as the top books for the second half of the year due to the fact that new books come in and the students get very excited about series books coming out. So much that I often take time to run to the local book store and buy them rather than ordering them and making the kids wait an extra day!

The Top Ten Books of the 2013-2014 School Year.

10. Insurgent (Roth)
9. Prodigy (Lu)
8. The Lightning Thief (Riordan)
7. Divergent (Roth)
6. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Third Wheel (Kinney)
5. Catching Fire (Collins)
4. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Cabin Fever (Kinney)
3. Legend (Lu)
2. Hunger Games (Collins)
1. The Boy Who Dared (Bartoletti)

As you may or may not know, 6 out of the ten books above are from the dystopian genre which was huge this year. I personally read all 6 of those books as well and I see the draw for kids. They always want the next book in the series and they tend to have multiple holds, which I love. The number 1 book was written by Susan Campbell Bartoletti, who visited our school in February. I must add that her book was not number 1 because she visited, but rather I wanted her to visit because her book was so very popular among my students.

The Top Ten Books of 2014 (January-June)

10. Catching Fire (Collins)
9. Insurgent (Roth)
8. Allegiant (Roth)
7. The Lightning Thief (Riordan)
6. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Cabin Fever (Kinney)
5. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Third Wheel (Kinney)
4. Hunger Games (Collins)
3. Divergent (Roth)
2. Legend (Lu)
1. The Boy Who Dared (Bartoletti)

Not as much difference as I thought there might be, but Allegiant (the third book in the Divergent series) jumped in and I believe that the final book in the series caused book 1, Divergent, to move up from 7 to 3 because now everyone wants to know how it ends. I loved it!

1 comment:

  1. Erin, normally I would suggest that it is good practice to annotate your lists and links. However, in this case because you've written a bit of contextualized information about your list following it, I think that provides the reader with some of the insights that annotations would bring to the list.

    ReplyDelete