Pages

Thursday, July 24, 2014

My Favorite Books

I was never a reader as a kid, or even as a high schooler...and now I am a librarian! The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling is credited with turning a ton of kids into readers, and I have to credit her with turning me into one as well. I was in college when I had to take a young adult literature class. I had to read 35 books and one of them was the first Harry Potter book and I have never looked back.

They are just beautifully written and they aren't just books about magic. They are about friendship, doing what is right, love and family. I literally read all seven books at least once a year and when I am done, I want to read them all again. If I watch one of the movies, it makes me want to go read the book because they have left so much of the beauty out of it.

I love to read many types of books nowadays, but I will never pass over a good fantasy novel thanks to Ms. Rowling. I really do credit her for turning me into a librarian, and I love my job. I love my job so much that the saying "find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life" was practically written for me.

Below is me reading a bit of my favorite part of book 4, The Goblet of Fire. It definitely has some spoilers, so if you haven't read the books, but plan on it, you might not want to listen. It is just something that makes me tear up every time I read it because it shows the importance of family and how Harry growing up without one is being reprieved a bit in the form of the Weasley family.

Check this out on Chirbit


5 comments:

  1. Reading is so powerful. It is great that this is what inspired you to find your calling in life. You also have a great voice, I loved hearing your sound bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow your story is so interesting! I didn't like reading my entire life until years into college! Even though the interest would've been beneficial while still in school, at least it gives hope to you as a librarian that it is possible for children to enjoy reading! Also, I like that you used your own podcast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies. It is amazing to have a book change your life...I should probably tell that story to my students more often.
    I don't actually have a podcast, though, just recorded that using Chirbit at the suggestion of some others in the class :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, 35 books is a lot for a one semester class. Due to lack of extra time I have not read for fun in so long. That is until I went on a relaxing vacation and start reading the Hunger Games series while I was there. I couldn't put it down and have read the books again before seeing each of the movies.

    I am a big fan of the Harry Potter movies but I have sadly never read the books. Perhaps I should it a try now that they movies are all over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stacie...I'm sure you won't be surprised to hear that the books are SO MUCH better than the movies. Also, if you liked the Hunger Games Series, you should try to Divergent series (Roth) or the Legend series (Lu), both of which I thought were better than the Hunger games.

    ReplyDelete