Pages

Monday, July 21, 2014

The Joy of Travel

I never really thought of myself as a traveler, until I talk to people who haven't gone on a vacation in years...YEARS! I think that is so crazy. My husband and I have made it a tradition to travel somewhere new at least once a year (MLK weekend) and we tend to travel aside from that. Here are a few cool places we've been:

It started with Boston. What a cool city! There is really cool history there as well as lots of great bars. We know this especially because it happened to be the coldest January in the history of the world (or so it seemed to us) so walking outside became stopping into various shops and bars to warm up. It was crazy cold! I am a huge fan of taking pictures, but I couldn't even hold my camera in Boston!

So the next year we decided to go south to Florida. What a great idea. Both of us being obsessed with Harry Potter made the decision to go to Harry Potter World in Universal Studios an easy one. It was literally my chance to walk around in my favorite book and I loved every single second of it. Even waiting in line wasn't bad because of all the details in the shop windows and the buildings themselves. 

                              This is me holding Severus Snape's wand. He is one of my favorite characters, whom I named my dog after (Sevy for short)

Later that year, we had a family wedding in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. I could unfortunately only go for a long weekend due to my school year starting, but my husband and his family were able to go to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons for about 4 days before I arrived. Jackson Hole is an awesome little town with a major country feel to it and the people are so nice. 

                                          This picture is at the house where the wedding was held...what a view!

The next year, it was Nashville...music city. They are not kidding! There is literally music playing from boxes in the streets. There are also bands playing in bars all day long. They start at 10 AM and go well past midnight. We saw so many great acts and being music lovers, we loved every minute of this vacation. I would highly recommend Nashville, TN to anyone who wants a long weekend somewhere. A weekend was enough time to see everything and be completely entertained. 

           This is the recording book in Jack White's Third Man record shop. My husband loves Jack White and records, so this was quite a treat for him!

The last trip we took was our honeymoon on Maui, HI. Nothing can describe how beautiful Hawaii is. It's green on land and blue in the water and the weather is wonderful and even though it tends to be crowded, it's tough to be rude or unfriendly when you're in paradise. Every meal we ate was served up with a view to die for and I would go back in a second, if it weren't so very far away. 

                                             This is Lanii, a small island off Maui where we beached, hiked and ate!

8 comments:

  1. Erin,
    I absolutely LOVE your pictures you have embedded. I especially like the captions below each one. You definitely gave me a sense of every where you traveled. I must admit I am a bit jealous! Great post! Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kim. I don't know why this popped into my head since most of posts have been education based, but I guess since most of my pictures are not education based I thought this would be a fun change of pace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you're having some pretty awesome travels! I appreciate the level of detail and storytelling about each of your desginations. And I think you're selling yourself short by saying it's not about education - as a teacher every place you visit gets filed away somewhere to come out as a story or reference with your students!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right, Molly. I hadn't really thought of it, but I have used my past travels in Europe to enhance lessons, so I'm sure I'll use these places as well...especially Harry Potter World, since I am a librarian :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erin: Fantastic pictures. So would you recommend the Harry Potter park in Florida? I've never been nor have I been to Florida!! My daughter read all the books within six months in THIRD grade :) We both love the story line. They have been advertising Diagon Alley on TV this summer. It sounds so AWESOME!!
    Thanks for Sharing! - Angie

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting! I have been to Boston and Nashville and am dying to go to Hawaii! My Boston experience wasn't as great as yours.. I was actually going to a national conference in my field because I was getting presented with a "major of the year award". About 30 minutes before our flight took off, headlines on the news read "blackout in Boston". We were like oh no, but thought everything would be fixed by the time we got there. Nope.. About 10,000 people who traveled to Boston for this national convention were let down because almost the entire city had a black out. We were fortunate enough that our hotel had power unlike many others. I didn't get to have my award presented to me :(. To make matters worse it was unseasonably cold for the time that we went (April I believe) and we weren't dressed warm enough so any site seeing we tried to do was absolutely miserable! It wasn't a good experience and I'm sad I didn't get to see more of what Boston has to offer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angie- I LOVED LOVED LOVED Harry Potter world. I kept asking my husband if I could go back and look at things like I was a child, I was just so excited. My only complaint is that we went before Diagon Alley opened, and we won't be able to go back for a while due to starting a family...but I'll get there eventually. If you daughter likes the books she will love Universal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heather...that STINKS about Boston. We actually had insanely cold weather when we were there which was insane, but we did what we could to enjoy it, including eating good food! A power outage is such bad luck and it sounds like such bad timing for you, but getting an award like that is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete