Pages

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

What I want to see in my middle school

Hello All,
Welcome to my first blog entry. My name is Erin Daley and I am a middle school librarian outside Philadelphia and have been for the past five years. I started my career in elementary education and then received a master's degree in library science and moved into what I have realized is the best job in the world. Since I teach research and technology to my kids, I thought it best that I grab another degree in educational technology!

This is only my second (concurrently with my third) course here at Boise, and I do have experience with blogs in my 501 course. I used blogger for that as well and since I plan on using that first blog to keep track of my online portfolio, I thought it would be more seamless to use it again.

I am hoping to use blogs in the classroom as a way to get students online to not only create and submit their work, but as a way to comment and discuss one another's work the way we do in graduate school.  I think it would be a great way for middle schoolers to have their voices heard because they have time to think about what they want to say and it guarantees that everyone gets to throw their opinion into the mix.

I plan to start this next school year with our ATP (gifted) classes and then move it into more and more classrooms as the years progress. I really want to help move my school into a more tech friendly, and greener, way of working together.

Feel free to follow my library on Twitter! @GVMSLibrary

Enjoy your summer,
Er

4 comments:

  1. Erin, this is a good strategy for EDTECH537, as a way to develop an existing blog (and as a way to help build your portfolio).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, I recently visited Philadelphia with students over Spring Break. It was supposed to be a quick stop, but our bus broke down so we spent a few more hours there. It is a great city.

    I agree with your goals for having students blog in the classroom. It also seems to have so much more value to them when their writing will be read by fellow classmates and potentially the world, not "just" the teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin,
    I'm also working on increasing student voice at our school - I've started a school-wide student learning blog and hope that it will serve as a model for classrooms to take the leap.

    I look forward to learning with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the term "increasing student voices" and will probably steal that from you when I pitch this to various people in my school. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete